Out of Character

Just two friends, sharing, laughing and remembering...Good Times!

Friday, February 11, 2005

Obey My Commands!!!

LOL ...I was just here at my desk thinking about my 10th Christmas and it made me laugh so hard I had to share with you. ...I don't know what prompted this thought ..I've never thought of it before ...but when I get off work I'm calling my mom to let her know how much that one year frustrated me.

It's no secret to those who know me ...that I grew up poor ...REALLY POOR! My mom was the greatest ...she loved us with every ounce of everything she had and tried to make the best of whatever we had ...but truth be known ...we didn't have a pot to pee in (it was a bucket lined with a garbage bag!! hee hee hee)

I really wanted a computer that year ...it was the only thing in the whole world I wanted. ...I knew it was way out of our reach ...and when you grow up poor you stop believing in santa early.

I woke up Christmas morning anticipating disappointment (rotton brat, who anticipates disappointment??) and much to my surprise ...there was a computer under the tree ...or as close as I could come to one that year ...my mother bought a keyboard for me and hooked it up to a busted up black and white tv ...gave me a book of commands and made me believe I could do all the stuff anyone else could do with that right there. ...Bless her heart ...I love'er for it ...but I spent a year in front of that tv thinking it was my inablility to "command" ...not my "computer"

I'm a pretty happy kid these days (alcohol induced of course) ...but I have to say that I am very very affected by the events of my childhood **strawberrie shakes head and smiles**

8 Comments:

  • At 2:30 PM, Blogger Winning Loser said…

    Wow... that is one of the cutest sweetest things I have ever read. Your mom really was awesome! I grew up with a family that didn't have much money but my mom and dad did work pretty hard to have things for me and my brother. I think the best christmas was when they somehow managed to get me and my bro Castle Greyskull and He-Man and Skeletor action figures.

     
  • At 2:33 PM, Blogger Strawberrie-Shortcake said…

    I guess this is a little out of season ..but heartwarming none the less;)

    It's good to think back on those old days and I'm thankful for my childhood ..it made me who I am today ..and I'm pretty happy with me!

     
  • At 3:02 PM, Blogger Master Foley said…

    awh. that is so cool.

     
  • At 4:54 PM, Blogger ananonymousgirl said…

    I was happy when I got coal ;)

    Just kidding. I didn't have much, but it was from the heart. But your mom is WAY ingenious!

     
  • At 5:25 PM, Blogger John Q. Public esq. said…

    myparent gave me an old razor and a book of matches one year....
    if thats not tough love I dont know what is....

    back from the road and off to a dinner thingyyy...suit and ite shit...

    oh, I S-S, check me out I got interviewed, with pics even!
    http://letaripper.blogspot.com/2005/02/meet-bloggers-jqp.html#comments

    John Q. Public..... :)

     
  • At 5:58 PM, Anonymous geeked-out said…

    Your mom was creative. I would have loved that, I was one of those weird kids that would sit for hours with an unplugged telephone and a peice of paper and talk to myself. My grandmother is complaining about getting a computer. She's like a child, maybe I'll get her that. She'll never know right?

     
  • At 5:38 AM, Blogger John Q. Public esq. said…

    good morning sweet pea, and happy VD!

     
  • At 9:47 AM, Blogger Strawberrie-Shortcake said…

    Good morning sweetie! Moving slow today;) Loved your interview ..and pic ...how appropriate, that's my favorite position as well! hee hee hee!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home