Out of Character

Just two friends, sharing, laughing and remembering...Good Times!

Tuesday, July 26, 2005

EAT YOUR VEGGIES!

I think I must be phasing in to a whole new era of my life. I find more contentment in everyday things. The drama seems to be passing away and, for the first time ever, I ate brussel sprouts. This may not seem blog-worthy to the average passer by. But believe me, this has been a life long quest of my fathers.

When I was just a little bit'a girl my dad and I had all out war ...OVER ONE BRUSSEL SPROUT. This one night left a lasting impression that would torture me and drive a wedge between dad and I forever. My momma still tells the story of the night dad tried to force that evil piece of greenery thru my clenched teeth. I was not budging. The more addament he became ..the madder and more sure I got ..that he would NEVER succeed. As GOD AS MY WITNESS, I WILL NEVER EAT THAT LITTLE GREEN VEGGIE! The story has become vague in my mind, as thru the years I have tried to block out that awful night. I just remember how pititul that little girl must have looked at the table soaked from her tears and exhausted by the fight that seemed to last for hours and carried on thru out the years.

Yesterday my dad stopped by for lunch. ...There's a great little cafeteria a block down from my work ..and wouldn't you know ...they serve brussel sprouts. Dad never said a word as we walked past ...for the first time ever ...he didn't mention that night ..as he had for the past 25 years ...EVERY SINGLE SOLITARY TIME HE SEES A BRUSSEL SPROUT He feels compelled to remind me of what a rebellious child I was. Quitely, I picked up the brussel sprouts and proceeded thru the line. As we sat down I put the bowl between us. Neither of us mentioned that terrible night ...instead, we shared a smile and a bowl of sprouts.

12 Comments:

  • At 11:39 AM, Blogger Strawberrie-Shortcake said…

    What did you fight about with your parents?

     
  • At 12:35 PM, Blogger Strawberrie-Shortcake said…

    ..I also ate chicken livers! How adult is that???

     
  • At 2:44 PM, Blogger Wickwire said…

    I shall remember NOT to force foods down my 2 year old son's mouth if he doesn't want it. A 25 year old bad memory is too long isn't it?

    Happy growing.

     
  • At 3:06 PM, Blogger Strawberrie-Shortcake said…

    Honestly it was piss poor of him to be such a big meanie about it. I love veggies! Had it not been for that experience that one night I would've eaten those little green cabbages A LONG TIME AGO! ..Truthfully ..they are really really good! I could just never bring myself to try them before now.

    And as adults ..I think we teach our children the wrong thing when we tell them they "must finish their plate" ...Eat until your full and stop! Let them decide -I wouldn't want anyone to make me over eat ...well ...I don't think anyone else would need to ...I do that all on my own these days;)

    ..but yes ...I agree ...don't make'em eat what they don't like ...give them healthy options and let'em choose ...who says we have to eat brussel sprouts??

     
  • At 3:32 PM, Anonymous Master Foley said…

    yuck those things are nasty

     
  • At 3:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I like'em! They taste like little cabbages, i think.

     
  • At 4:17 PM, Blogger John Q. Public esq. said…

    well, I love them to, baby cabbages is what my mom called them, she also got me to eat Lima beans by giving me a tooth pick to eat them with, which when your five makes it fun, however I will never eat a red beet, they are f'ing gross...

    glad you liked my full pouting lips, S-S... they are all for you, sweet-pea...

    JQP

     
  • At 5:39 PM, Blogger Jon said…

    hard to eat healthy with these foods..

     
  • At 11:06 PM, Blogger Kirsti said…

    I decided when I was like.. 2 days old, that when I do not like something, I will not eat it. And such it has been. Up untill this day I will not eat boiled vegetables, boiled fish or boiled potatoes. Mother has made a few fugile attempts at forcing them down my throat but alas, I was a stubborn child. I don't see the point in forcing children to eat what they don't like. As adults, we don't force ourselves to eat yucky things, now do we?

     
  • At 11:06 PM, Blogger Kirsti said…

    I would also like to point out that I AM NOT AN ADULT, 20 or not.

     
  • At 12:00 PM, Blogger Original Blog-surfer said…

    Interesting how some of the most vivid memories in our younger lives are the "tramatic" ones! I like almost any food, so mine never had to do with that. I am glad that you and your father have gotten over that, might seem like a small thing, but it is the small things that cause people to not talk to each other...

     
  • At 9:28 PM, Blogger Ne Nebraska House Cleaning said…

    Delightful blog. I devote my spare time just
    looking for great blogs such as yours. I treasure this
    site and will go back!
    In an efford of finding the right info, check for my ri rhode island house cleaning blog site.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home